TinyYears Baby Pillows – PREVENTION & CORRECTION OF BABY FLAT HEAD SYNDROME (PLAGIOCEPHALY)
WHAT IS PLAGIOCEPHALY?
Deformational Plagiocephaly is a condition characterised by a flat spot on the back or one side of an infants head caused by uneven pressure on the skull. This may be due to intra-uterine pressure, the birth process, extended time spent in a neonatal unit, or most often, the infant’s preferred sleeping position. Often a child who exhibits a reluctance to rotate their head to one side will develop this preferred sleeping position, which in turn can produce a flat spot on the skull. For example, when babies lie on their back for extended periods they can develop a flat spot where their head presses against the mattress.
For many years medical doctors have viewed plagiocephaly as only a cosmetic issue, confidently saying to parents that the head will naturally assume a more symmetrical shape as the child gets older. Unfortunately however, the research very strongly supports the fact that this does not happen, and that developmental delays are associated with plagiocephaly.
‘Case-control study of neurodevelopment in deformational plagiocephaly’ was published in Pediatrics in 2010. The study assessed the neurodevelopment of infants with and without deformational plagiocephaly at an average age of six months and concluded: “Deformational plagiocephaly seems to be associated with early neurodevelopmental disadvantage, which is most evident in motor functions.” (1)
A study published in Pediatrics in 2000, ‘Long-term developmental outcomes in patients with deformational plagiocephaly’ concluded: “Infants with deformational plagiocephaly comprise a high-risk group for developmental difficulties presenting as subtle problems of cerebral dysfunction during the school age years.” (2)
A study published in 2009 ‘Are infants with torticollis at risk of a delay in early motor milestones compared with a control group of healthy infants?’ demonstrated that the congenital muscular torticollis group achieved early motor milestones significantly later than the control group. (3)
- Case-control study of neurodevelopment in deformational plagiocephaly. Speltz ML, Collett BR, Stott-Miller M, Starr JR, Heike C, Wolfram-Aduan AM, King D, Cunningham ML. Pediatrics. 2010 Mar;125(3):e537-42. Epub 2010 Feb 15.
- Pediatrics. 2000 Feb;105(2):E26. Long-term developmental outcomes in patients with deformational plagiocephaly. Miller RI, Clarren SK.
- Dev Med Child Neurol. 2009 Jul;51(7):545-50. Epub 2009 Jan 26. Are infants with torticollis at risk of a delay in early motor milestones compared with a control group of healthy infants? Ohman A, Nilsson S, Lagerkvist AL, Beckung E. At Mt.Eliza Family Chiropractic, we stock TinyYears Pillows which help in the prevention and correction of baby flat head syndrome. The TinyYears Pillow was designed and developed by Dr Glenn Maginness, a kids only chiropractor with over 35 years experience in treating Flat Head Syndrome.
Using TinyYears baby pillows is very easy. Simply place the back of your baby’s head on the pillow. The cavity in the pillow helps your baby’s head to grow in a natural shape while allowing them to still turn from side to side. For baby’s who experience flat head syndrome, TinyYears pillows can provide both uninterrupted sleep for parents and their children as re-positioning during the night doesn’t need to occur any longer.
The Patented design was specifically conceived to disperse the pressure on the back of the head while providing the correct head and neck support.
With 3 different sizes available you can get the perfect size pillow for the most effective treatment.
The Tiny Years Exercises that come with the pillow are designed specifically to stimulate the parts of the brain that are affected by Flat Head Syndrome and are just as important as using the pillow.
- Made from a breathable 3D air mesh it offers no restriction to airflow while allowing moisture to pass through for extra comfort
- Patented shape reduces pressure while providing the required neck support
- Exercises to treat the potential development issues associated with Flat Head Syndrome
- Pillow and Pillow Case are machine washable
- Different sizes to suit head circumference (see size guide below)
- Recommended by Chiropractors and Doctors around the world
WHAT YOU GET:
- Tiny Years Shaped Pillow
- Access to Tiny Years Exercises
- Tiny Years Pillow Case
- Information Booklet
- Access to Facebook Group where you can ask questions and find answers
If you have any concerns that your baby may be experiencing baby flat head syndrome, then please call Mt.Eliza Family Chiropractic and talk to one of our chiropractors about the options available to you to manage the condition, including the implementation of a TinyYears Pillow. Our chiropractors can also give you advice and tips on your baby’s positioning during sleep or when laid down.
Please call 03 97876999 for more information.