Myotherapy near Hastings
Mt Eliza Chiropractic Clinic offers Myotherapy to residents of Hastings and surrounding communities.
What is Myotherapy?
The short answer is that myotherapy is massage!
In reality, myotherapy is much more than simple massage. Myotherapy is defined as “the application of a range of physical modalities used in the assessment and treatment of muscular conditions, which cause myofascial pain and affect human movement”. Put simply a Myotherapist treats muscle and joint pain and dysfunction.
Myotherapy (massage) has always been an integral part of our team approach to your health and well being. Incorporating myotherapy when required can help facilitate a faster and more complete recovery.
Our myotherapists have completed the required tertiary course and have extensive practical knowledge of soft tissue injuries.
Myotherapy is generally covered within the ‘extras’ of private health insurance companies.
Our clinic offers the combined experience of three fully qualified Myotherapists. We also offer Remedial Massage which covers techniques such as sports, deep tissue and relaxation massage.
How often do I need a massage?
Typically massages are given once per month, but some people need them more often than others, depending on their condition. Massages can be a great way to supplement your overall health plan with your chiro.
Remember that you don’t need to be in pain to see a Myotherapist. If no symptoms are present, or have eased after a few treatments focus will shift to reducing the likelihood of further symptoms/injuries, decreasing stress, improving flexibility and keeping you feeling your best.
Benefits of Myotherapy
- Helps relieve stress and aid relaxation
- Helps relieve muscle tension and stiffness
- Fosters faster healing of strained muscles and sprained ligaments; reduces pain and swelling; reduces formation of excessive scar tissue
- Reduces muscle spasms
- Provides greater joint flexibility and range of motion
- Enhances athletic performance
- Promotes deeper and easier breathing
- Improves circulation of blood and movement of lymph fluids
- Reduces blood pressure
- Helps relieve tension headaches and eyestrain
- Strengthens the immune system
- Improves posture
- Enhances health and nourishment of skin
- Reduces risk of future injury
Well-being and Mental Benefits:
- Improves overall well-being
- Fosters peace of mind
- Promotes a relaxed state of mental alertness
- Helps relieve mental stress
- Improves ability to monitor signs of stress and respond appropriately
- Enhance capacity for calm thinking and creativity
- Increases awareness of mind-body connection
What techniques does a Myotherapist use?
Myotherapy is essentially soft tissue massage. However in addition to this myofascial acupuncture, trigger point pressure release, deep tissue massage, passive and resisted stretching, hot and cold therapy, TENS and corrective exercises may all be incorporated within a myotherapy session. The specific modality or therapy implemented will be determined by each patient’s specific needs.
Dry Needling involves very fine needles to weed out tension knots in your muscles. This may help not only to relieve tension but may improve flexibility and is used to help with lots of sports injuries, and chronic pain conditions like fibromyalgia.
Deep tissue blood can be brought to the surface using cupping, a technique that can reduce muscle tension.
Pregnancy Massage can be a great way to get rid of that extra tension you’re experiencing from preganncy. We have a special pregnancy pillow for our lovely pregnant clients, or the massage can be performed while laying on their side or even seated. Your comfort and safety is always our number one priority! If you are concerned or have questions regarding pregnancy massage, we are more than happy to answer your questions so please don’t hesitate to call and we can discuss this with you further.
Fill in the form below and we’ll be in touch to organise an appointment time.