Myotherapy near Edithvale
Mt Eliza Chiropractic Clinic offers Myotherapy to residents of Edithvale and surrounding communities.
What is Myotherapy?
The short answer is that myotherapy is massage!
In reality, myotherapy is much more than simple massage. Myotherapy is defined as “the application of a range of physical modalities used in the assessment and treatment of muscular conditions, which cause myofascial pain and affect human movement”. Put simply a Myotherapist treats muscle and joint pain and dysfunction.
Myotherapy (massage) provides a way for a faster and more complete recovery – it’s a range of techniques that give fantastic results.
Our myotherapists have completed the required tertiary course and have extensive practical knowledge of soft tissue injuries.
Myotherapy is generally covered within the ‘extras’ of private health insurance companies.
Our clinic offers the combined experience of three fully qualified Myotherapists. We also offer Remedial Massage which covers techniques such as sports, deep tissue and relaxation massage.
How often do I need a massage?
If you are also seeing the chiropractor this may be discussed in your treatment plan as a part of your overall health plan. Typically a massage once per month is recommended but this does not apply to everyone. Some people need massage more frequently, depending on their condition and the specific reason they are coming for massage therapy.
Remember that you don’t need to be in pain to see a Myotherapist. If no symptoms are present, or have eased after a few treatments focus will shift to reducing the likelihood of further symptoms/injuries, decreasing stress, improving flexibility and keeping you feeling your best.
Benefits of Myotherapy
- Helps relieve stress and aid relaxation
- Helps relieve muscle tension and stiffness
- Fosters faster healing of strained muscles and sprained ligaments; reduces pain and swelling; reduces formation of excessive scar tissue
- Reduces muscle spasms
- Provides greater joint flexibility and range of motion
- Enhances athletic performance
- Promotes deeper and easier breathing
- Improves circulation of blood and movement of lymph fluids
- Reduces blood pressure
- Helps relieve tension headaches and eyestrain
- Strengthens the immune system
- Improves posture
- Enhances health and nourishment of skin
- Reduces risk of future injury
Well-being and Mental Benefits:
- Improves overall well-being
- Fosters peace of mind
- Promotes a relaxed state of mental alertness
- Helps relieve mental stress
- Improves ability to monitor signs of stress and respond appropriately
- Enhance capacity for calm thinking and creativity
- Increases awareness of mind-body connection
What techniques does a Myotherapist use?
Myotherapy use soft tissue massage techniques in conjunction with myofascial acupuncture, trigger point pressure release, deep tissue massage, passive and resisted stretching, hot and cold therapy, TENS and corrective exercises may all be incorporated within a myotherapy session. The specific modality or therapy implemented will be determined by each patient’s specific needs.
Dry Needling involves very fine needles to reduce tension within the muscles, these are those knots that you can feel within your muscles. This may help not only to relieve tension but may improve flexibility and is used to help with lots of sports injuries, and chronic pain conditions like fibromyalgia.
Deep tissue blood can be brought to the surface using cupping, a technique that can reduce muscle tension.
Pregnancy Massage is a great way to relieve tension, reduce discomfort, improve circulation and prepare the body for birth. We have a special pregnancy pillow for our lovely pregnant clients, or the massage can be performed while laying on their side or even seated. Your comfort and safety is always our number one priority! Feel free to call us and we can chat if you have any worries about our pregnancy massage.
Fill in the form below and we’ll be in touch to organise an appointment time.